VR kart racers aren’t plentiful, unfortunately, and the few that are out there are duds. I played through VR Karts on PSVR for our sister site back in 2017 and was left really disappointed. All my VR kart racing hopes and dreams now lie in the hands of those at MotionX Studio and their upcoming Dash Dash World. Alright, it’s not quite as dramatic as that, but is it too much to ask for a decent kart racer in VR?
I’ve only heard good things about Dash Dash World so far, and it looks like it’s only going to get better. The game is still not ready for a full release, but the developers are keeping players hooked with the beta version of the game. The game has been in beta for a while now and players have been delivering their feedback via the game’s official Discord channel, as well as other social media accounts. The feedback has been heard loud and clear, and so the next version of the Dash Dash World beta, version 2.0, will include a lot of community-requested features.
The Dash Dash World 2.0 Beta will be available on Oculus Quest and Oculus Rift from December 23rd through til January 6th, 2020. If you want to sign up for the beta, you can do so here.
- Pro Racing Mode: for those serious fender benders looking to hone their skills
- Guilds, Leaderboards and Weekly Ladders
- Immersive Controls: grab that virtual steering wheel and power up with speed boosts
- Drifting AND Drafting: precise control over your kart for some aerodynamic advantage
- Explosive Weapons: updated weapon selection, nuke your opponents in crossplay, multiplayer mode
- Social: diss them over voice chat, taunt them with animated emotes, and honk your kart horn for warning!
- Real Motion Sickness Prevention: tried and tested, 6 immersive Comfort Modes
- Focus Helmet
- Virtual Focal Point
- Virtual Frame
- 3D Visual Guide
- Performance Customization: kart and engine tuning for different terrain and driving conditions
Other upcoming features and updates:
- Steering Wheel Support
- Dynamic Dashboard: displays your kart and engine status, and boosts!
- Incoming Car and Weapon Radar: get notified when you’re being attacked so you can whip out some defense
- NEW MAPS!
- Oculus Quest, Rift, and PSVR visual and audio optimizations, improved graphics and sound effects